Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Strawberry Heaven

Mmmmmmm. Once again, I've been on my annual trek to pick strawberries at a local pick-your-own farm. I went right after work yesterday with a friend in the nice, unusually cool weather (which was much more pleasant than the sweaty June/July temperatures we usually pick berries in!) and came home with one, manageable flat of nice strawberries. I have been known to come home with 2 overflowing flats of enough berries to make dessert and jam for the entire community, so I thought I'd pick a more reasonable amount this year. $16 bucks worth of berries!











Here's what I'll be doing today:

Strawberry Bread

Ingredients
1-1/4 C. fresh strawberries (OR 10 oz. pkg of thawed, undrained frozen berries)
2 eggs
3/4 C. oil
1-1/2 C. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 C. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon


Directions


Puree berries in blender
Whisk eggs and oil in a small bowl
In large bowl, combine the flour, soda, sugar and cinnamon
Add the berries to the flour mix and beat well with a spoon
Add the egg and oil and beat well
Pour into greased 9x5 loaf pan
Bake at 325 for about 70 minutes
Remove loaf from pan 5 minutes after taking out of oven, and cool completely on a rack

I serve with Strawberry Butter - softened butter whipped with powdered sugar and more berries.

I found these Strawberry Fun Facts. I'm still trying to picture myself tying baskets of berries to the horns of the cattle for the elves . . .

No comments: