Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Saturday Tatting

Michelle, her daughter, and I met today for some tatting time.  We have such an enjoyable visit that the time flies by as we sit with our coffee/tea and tat.   I was quite confident while working on my pendant that it would be soooooo easy to complete - now that I had the correct size (and shape) bead.  Oh yes, it would be no problem! 

So, I tatted on.  And tatted some more when I got home.  I was going to finish this!  And here's how it ended up:


Ugh.  A re-do for sure.  I think Marilee needs to move to Minneapolis!  What the heck is wrong here?  Is it my tension?  The pattern does state to check tension, but I thought it was pretty good.  I have always crocheted very tightly, so maybe my tatting is following that trend . . . ? 

In any case, I got to practice the V-stitch/Victorian sets/Zig-Zag/Ric-Rac stitch that I practiced and explained back HERE.  And, I worked on the Catherine Wheel Join according to Yarnplayer's great instruction video HERE.  I had never done that join before, so it was good to work on another new technique.

Now that I have worked on the techniques, I need to figure out why this is so wonky.  Is it the tension?  How do you monitor your tension?  Your critique and advice is welcome!  Dang it, I thought I was doing so well.  I will keep trying :) 


* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

And guess what I'm going to do with these old doorknobs?


Another bright idea on my list of things to do.

1 comment:

  1. I'm ready for another tatting get-together, but I'm afraid I'll have to wait for summer. It would be fun to have Marilee teach us all. She is very "meticulous"... her words! If you think the pictures are beautiful, you should see her tatting in person!

    Are you making wine bottle stoppers? That's all I can come up with... there's something about the corks that makes me think of wine. : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts - I read and appreciate every one!