Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012


Memorial Day programs are held today in most cemeteries - 21 gun salute and all - and are very moving to me.  However, visiting big city cemeteries means big city crowds - so we visited yesterday.


Any visit to Fort Snelling Cemetery in Minneapolis is beautiful, yet humbling.  Seeing the vast amount of stones and thinking of the many lives represented is amazing.   My husband and I not only remembered all of the veterans in both our families, but thought about the fact that we could be visiting a son or nephew too. Thankfully, that is not our story.  And as we watched other families placing flowers, we could only wonder at their stories.  It made me sad to see an elderly woman sitting in a lawn chair while the young woman that was with her was cleaning around a stone and preparing a vase of flowers.  Her husband?  Her son? 

Thanks to all of our veterans today, and thanks to their families as they suffer losses we can only imagine.   I am enjoying this extra day off from work because of them.





1 comment:

  1. Yes, so many stories, so much sacrifice. I hope we all can appreciate our freedom and make good use of it, helping to make this world a better place.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts - I read and appreciate every one!