Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Muesli Anyone?

Ok, so muesli isn't  really a new thing.  But, it's new for me.  I've always enjoyed oatmeal - with raisins, coconut, nuts, etc.  Good, chewy, old fashioned oatmeal.  But, who wants to cook oatmeal before you run out the door to work?  Not me.  Sometimes I'd make enough for a day or two, but then maybe I didn't want oatmeal the next day.

During my trip to Finland and Sweden this past summer, we ate at three different breakfast buffets.  They each had beautiful breads and cheeses, salmon, cold cuts, fruits, eggs, etc.  But, they also had muesli.  Separate dishes of oats, nuts, dried fruits, yogurt, etc.  I thought that was interesting, and had to have some.  I never thought about eating oatmeal without cooking it!  And none of it was sweetened, mind you.  All natural.  Delicious with yogurt on it.  This has to be a healthy breakfast choice.


Soooooo, since I've been home I've hit the co-op twice for rolled oats, rye flakes, dried cherries, and flax seed.  I've googled recipes, and eaten muesli in milk, muesli in yogurt, muesli in orange juice (really, it's delicious!) muesli soaked for a bit, and muesli heated.  I just love how many different ways you can enjoy it, and it's so easy.  I add some coconut for a little sweetness, and have about 1/4 C. of my mix with whatever I have - milk, juice or yogurt.


I really am Scandinavian, I guess!  I loved the Finnish saunas, and now I'm hooked on muesli too.  If you like oatmeal, try it!

3 comments:

  1. For me I like the Swiss muesli, it's has dried fruit and nuts broken in bits plus coconut with a little cold milk, Mmmmm you are making me feel hungry and its time for bed.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, it's a great bedtime snack too!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love oatmeal so I'm going to have to give this a try. Thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts - I read and appreciate every one!