Pages

Monday, June 24, 2013

A Love for Taking Photos


I went and did it.  I probably shouldn't have, but I did it anyway since we have a summer full of short trips to areas full of wildlife and flowers ahead of us.  I got a new toy.

Nikon 1 J1

Digital cameras are nothing new - we've had a few.  And they have been good!  But I wanted something just a little more than a small point and shoot. Some frustrations with my camera's focusing ability pushed me into something new.

My high school graduation present from my parents was a super nice 35mm camera - the latest and greatest Minolta that I picked out myself.  I really wanted to go into advertising/magazine photography.  That didn't quite happen, but my love of taking photos has never stopped.  Everything I see would be a "great photo!" My photos don't always come out the way I see them in my head, but I try. [Sometimes a hundred times or more to the dismay of my ever-so-patient family.]

We switched to a digital camera in about 2004.  We took a trip to the Black Hills, South Dakota, and I brought both the 35mm and the digital cameras.  I didn't quite trust that digital camera yet, so I took pictures with both.  I was really disappointed in my 35mm when I had the film developed, and that was the end of that.  Digital was unbelievable!  [Especially for someone who takes a million-and-a-half photos to get that one shot . . .]

I never wanted to go back to carrying around a great big camera bag and various lenses, but when I saw this little camera with interchangeable lenses . . . well, that was it.  This is kind of an in-between camera - not a P&S, but not a professional DSLR either.  A good in-between (both size- and functionality-wise) for me, and my second Nikon. 

I will now apologize for the various photos I may or may not post in the future :)

Yep, it was a hot, humid day on Saturday.
I believe the brown one was posing just for me.


8 comments:

  1. Very interesting and good for you going out and buying this camera. Afraid I still like one that will fit in a handbag, although of course the photos are often lacking good quality. Look forward to seeing great photos from you now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh. Now I have to live up to posting great photos!

      Delete
  2. Yes I think she was posing for you. Great photo.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grand moooove. She agrees that you beef up your camera artillery!

    Which Nikon did you decide on? Myself,after every camera make on the market, I am a cannon-all-the -way kinda gal!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Nikon 1 J1 - recommended to me by a photographer friend as a great little in-between. (I also think Canon is top notch!)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the camera. I'm another one of those that has to take a bazillion pictures hoping for that one that will come out. I have no background in photography, but I have lots of practice taking pictures at any family event. Family now expects me to. I usually have someone take at least one picture of me so that there is proof that I was there, too ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm looking forward to all the pictures you post now and in the future!

      Delete

Thanks for your thoughts - I read and appreciate every one!