The sash was an idea from the bridal shop that we used to incorporate more lace from Mom's wedding dress - just a little bit more.
I started out by making several organza fabric flowers testing out different ideas and sizes.
I ended up making a larger focal piece adding tulle and lace from Mom's dress, and then we thought a smaller flower or two would be good.
In the end, we agreed that just the focal piece was good without any additional flowers, as we were adding another lace sort of piece as well off to the side. Less is more in this case - we don't want to take away from the beauty of the actual dress, either.
The bridal shop had originally suggested this beautiful Vera Wang sash . . .
So, crafting our own seemed fairly simple. I ended up with the below, using a cut out piece of lace from mom's dress as a sort of appliqué. It was flimsy, so I added some stiffening spray - that worked great. We have decided it is even BETTER than Vera's! Hopefully it will look as good when it's on the dress - we shall see.