Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Heirloom Quilt

Today was a beautiful Minnesota winter day!  Sunny and almost 40F degrees - crazy warm and melting what snow and ice remains.  I took a little drive and met my folks at my Uncle's house, where my cousins were doing some cleaning out of many years' accumulation.  My sweet aunt passed away last summer, and her sewing room needed to be emptied of fabric and various quilting supplies.  My uncle thinks it's "junk", so I just teased by asking if he was SURE he didn't want to take up sewing?!

Since Mom is a quilter, my cousins offered the fabric stash to her, and I went to help pack it up.  Every cupboard we opened had more fabric - enough to fill both of our vehicles to bursting! This was after my cousins had taken what fabric they wanted, of course, but it didn't appear to make a dent. My aunt sewed everything from lingerie to lined suits to winter outerwear.  And quilts.  

Speaking of quilts, my aunt also had a quilt top that was hand-pieced by her great-grandmother, who would be my great-great grandmother, sometime during her life in the late 1800's.  My aunt then added the batting and backing and hand-quilted it in 1993.  My great-great grandmother was from England, I believe, so it is not clear where the quilt was pieced or exactly when.  But it is very patriotic in red, white and blue, and certainly could have been made during the US Civil War.  Who knows?  But it's fun to wonder and look at.  The fabric seems like a looser weave, and is vibrant in color for being so old.  I wonder if it is patriotic in color as a choice, or if the colors were the most available at that time?  In any case, a very fun thing to see!  Mom will take it to show her quilting friends - what a treasure.  My cousin will eventually hang it in her home, as it fits with her patriotic decor.

I just love seeing heirlooms, and wondering about the people involved.  What was she like?  How did it get here?  With her, or with her daughter?  Was it treasured, or just stuffed away to finish 'someday' like so many of my own projects.  Was it for someone or something special? 

What a treasure, to be sure!

 


 

 

5 comments:

  1. Incredible story and amazing quilt! Can't believe the vibrant colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really interesting, thanks for sharing the story. I"m glad the quilt is still going to be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treasure! I have three quilts made by my paternal great-grandmother. One of them has fabric from dresses I remember. Grandma Morris would hand-piece a quilt ever summer and quilt it in the winter, or so the story goes. My mom was the only one who sewed, so she inherited Grandma's quilts and silver thimble. The quilts were then passed on to me. My mom still uses Grandma Morris's thimble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors and the meaning behind them😄💟😄

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts - I read and appreciate every one!