Pages

Saturday, November 11, 2017

November?

Holy Cow - I can’t believe it’s November already.  And we’ve had a few days of super cold weather here in Minnesota - only in the 20’s F, and a bit of snow.  Already.  Yuck - we have 6 more months of this!  But, one positive is all the tatting/sewing I can get done while indoors.  Ha.

I finally ordered a shuttle I’ve looked at many times.  Banyek on Etsy has such pretty wood shuttles - I love the wood inlay, though I don’t know how much I’ll use it.  I’m not a big shuttle collector, but I sure do like to have pretty shuttles! Fun to have from a shuttle maker in Hungary:


I’ve been working on the 3rd of my 4 quilts for the kids as they turn 30.  My son-in-law turns 30 in February, and to avoid the Christmas rush of quilting I have his lap quilt to the quilter!  Good timing, as I don’t need it until the first week of February.  His is flying geese, as he is a bird hunter.  More ducks than geese, but the fabric reminded me of him, and that’s the fun!  The backing is Labrador dogs, of which they have 2 for hunting.  So perfect!  I love making these simple lap quilts focused specifically on each one as they turn the “Dirty 30”!!  Son-in-law #1 was fish, Daughter was music, and Son-in-law #3 is bird hunting.  Just have Daugher #2 left, so I’m pondering her quilt already.  They probably think I’m nuts, but they’ll enjoy the personal quilts more as the years go by.

The bird hunting quilt, front of geese and backing of labradors.  I’m happy with how I was able to get the binding fabric of rust/black to pull together the front goose fabric and the back dog fabric.


Since sewing has been my main objective lately, my tatting has been on hold.  I’m making progress, albeit slow, on the tatted ornament.  We had our Twin Cities Tatters gathering today, so I got a little more done.  But my goal is to finish that ornament by tomorrow to see which ball the size 30 thread fits on best.  Time is getting away from me again as the holidays gradually sneak up.

Next Friday, Mom will come to stay for the week of Wisconsin deer hunting.  And you know what that means.  Eating out, shopping, eating out, and-did-I-mention-shopping?  Ha!  We have so much fun running around the cities to various stores and quilt shops.  And lunches all over town!  A fun, annual tradition for us.  By the time she goes home, it is December, and the holidays loom large.  I don’t have much to do for holiday preparation, but it just seems to come up so quickly.

Back to tatting on my ornament.  I’m using size 30 thread, and it’s looking like it will fit the large Christmas ball the way it’s supposed to.  I will know very soon . . .


5 comments:

  1. Those quilts are SO amazing and wonderful,

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all the reorganizing we've been doing around here, I unearthed a quilt I started for daughter Andrea about ten years ago. As soon as I get my sewing room organized (I've been saying that for several years!), that quilt is my priority!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid shuttle! Lovely idea to make quilts for each family member as they turn 30. It sounds as though you put a lot of thought into making each one special. Good luck with the ornament!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shuttle and quilts! Sorry I missed everyone Saturday but we had fun doing our Paint and Pallet event. I'll see you in December.

    Please bring your ball ornament and cover from the size 30 thread. I think it's the same or similar pattern to what Kathy B. either worked on or wants to make. Regardless, I'd like to see yours!

    ~Heidi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts - I read and appreciate every one!