Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Hydrangea Doily

Lizbeth #181 (Cranberry Bush) and an Ecru thread, size 20
From the book 'New Tatting' by Tomoko Morimoto
Yes, the pattern is called a doily.  A table topper, even - which I guess is pretty accurate - it does go on top of a table.  Actually, it's pretty small to be what I would call a 'doily'.  But it makes a very pretty coaster.  An easy tat, quick little one shuttle motifs attached together with a simple edge around.  Not my best tatting, but it won't be entered in any competitions!


A set of these to use with small wine glasses would be great, but even my coffee cup would hide it.  How would you use this dainty coaster?  I'm considering stitching it to fabric for a more practical, useful coaster, but I'm not sure I would put anything on top of it anyway - it's too pretty to cover up.

On another subject, our Twin Cities Tatters group met yesterday, and I think we had the biggest group ever!  Six of us adults plus a mom with two young girls eager to learn after seeing demonstrations at the state fair a few times. They even seemed to get that flip pretty readily.  Maybe tatting will be the new craze! OK, probably not, but it's fun to see that there really is more interest in tatting than I think sometimes, especially in the younger generation.  




6 comments:

  1. That doily was even lovelier in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That came out really nice, especially with the colors you chose. I can just imagine sipping on some hot tea on a brisk autumn day. I don't know what else you could use it for, but it looks great next to the coffee mug :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, I really like that. I would make two or three and use them to decorate a dressingtable or table top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors give it a Christmas-y look. A votive candle might not overwhelm it. It is pretty whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts - I read and appreciate every one!