Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Gifts from India

One of my coworkers recently made a trip back home to India for her brother's wedding.  She shared pictures with me of the wedding, and explained some of the culture and tradition surrounding weddings in her family and religion.  I don't have permission to share the pictures, so I will just tell you a little about them.  The bride wore a beautiful cream colored sari with lots of beautiful gold thread accents for the ceremony.  During the ceremony, the groom "ties the knot" by tying several strands of gold colored thread with a gold cross/pendant into a necklace around her neck.  Immediately following the ceremony, she changed into a sari given to her by the groom's parents.  This bride's new sari was a beautiful salmon/pink color with gold accents.  A day or so after the wedding, a gold chain is added to the pendant, but the threads must stay and dissolve on their own - as this is the important tied knot.  Traditionally, the wedding ring is worn on the right hand.  The family photos were fairly casual with the groom in a suit, other men in dress clothes, and the women were wearing the beautiful, rich-with-color saris.

I love to learn about other cultures and family traditions - it's so interesting to see what stands out in any given celebration, and helps to understand why we sometimes have such different opinions on many subjects. Last summer we all learned a bit about becoming a U.S. citizen from this coworker too.  It's very interesting to see it from the perspective of one not born into it.  I have never studied other cultures - I prefer to hear it first-hand.  "Tying the Knot" has a whole new image with the meaning to me now. 

Before she left, she asked if she could bring me anything from India.  Not knowing what might be available, all I could think of was fabric or some thread.  She agreed to look if she was able to do any shopping.  I knew her trip would be a very short one for a significant family event, so imagine my surprise when she returned with this:


I may have to hoard these things for a bit while I decide what I should make!  She even brought me sewing thread to match one fabric, as she was able to get it very inexpensively.
 


And she knows I love all shades of blue, so she got this ball of a variegated blue thread (pretty colors show better above),


and this colorful, metallic thread too. 



She is so thoughtful to bring these all the way back from India.  I treasure these items and the fact that she even remembered during her short visit with her family for such a special occasion.  Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to make!

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful treasures from India! Can't wait to see what you decide to make. Enjoy petting the fabrics and thread until inspiration strikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How NICE!! The fabrics look like they have wonderful texture. Both the threads and fabric are such rich colors. It's always a sweet dilemma deciding what to do with beautiful materials!
    :) Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how exciting! Those threads look so nice! I've tatted with Anchor thread before and had a good experience with it! Enjoy! I cannot wait to see what you tat up with these little treasures! What a thoughtful friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely unexpected gifts! What a thoughtful colleague! Enjoy it and play; I too will look for what becomes what from all that!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts - I read and appreciate every one!