Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Tatted Treasures

Motif #1 from the book Tatted Treasures.  This one really caught my eye with all those beads - I have such a collection of thread with matching beads!  I chose to do this one in the brown thread with multicolored brown and blue beads - I really like these colors together.



This was a fun, easy tat, but I'm not used to working with so many beads!  It was a little comical getting them onto my shuttles.  I think there might be more beads down here than I care to admit:


And, I HAD to tat the beautiful heart in the new Jan Stawasz book, too.  Of course it caught my eye -  based on  Mary Konior's Queen of Hearts - another of my favorite designers.    

Yarnplayer's Rhubarb Pie, Size 20 thread
I tried to follow the diagram with the size of the picots, but my skill is lacking in consistency. Dang.

Here's the comparison of the two hearts.  Mary Konior's Queen of Hearts on the left, Jan Stawasz Heart on the right.





11 comments:

  1. Beautiful tatting, Cindy. The top motif is really beautiful.

    I must say I prefer the original design... The clover looks a bit heavy at the bottom; even if the MK ring is fiddley, I do prefer it.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I think I prefer the original tip of the heart design also.

      Delete
    2. How do you spell fiddly? : ))

      Delete
  2. Your heart is really pretty, I love the color way of the threadm but omg, I dearly do love love love the top motif with the beads!!! Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! I love your beaded motif. Brown and blue has long been a favorite combination of mine. Your tatting is wonderful! Your heart is a touch of spring - VERY pretty.

    :) Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think both your tatted pieces look fantastic. Real nice colors, especially the heart motif.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your beaded motif is gorgeous! I have a little Altoids tin that I put my beads in. Then I use Nina Libin's method to string the beads. I stiffen the end of the thread, about an inch or two, with Elmer's glue. The thread gets nice and stiff, and I don't have to use a needle to string the beads. The bonus is, a lot fewer of them go springing around the room!

    I'll have to give Jan's version of MK's heart a try. I love her heart, but I'm intrigued by the clover leaf at the bottom. Of course, I'll have to tat them back-to-back so that I know which one I truly prefer! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been keeping those beads in that beautiful tin you gave me, and using the cover of the tin to put beads into to string. I think I better try that glue method for less spillage :)

      Delete
  6. Great motif!!! Love the hearts!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cindy, I really like your blues and browns together. The other night I picked similar colours, thinking of what I'd like to use for a future doily. Have you tried one of those long-eye beading needles? Practically the whole of the needle is an eye, they are therefore incredibly easy to thread and make a really quick job of loading the beads (not my favourite job it has to be said!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried a beading needle - just the floss threaders (dental). I haven't used beads much, but they sure are pretty! (Even if they are a pain to thread when there are so many ;)

      Delete

Thanks for your thoughts - I read and appreciate every one!