Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Remember the Dresser?

Remember the dresser I was ready to paint back HERE?  I finally got a somewhat decent picture of it finished.  It's hard to photograph because it has a glossy finish - so it flashes back at me :)  In any case, here's the before & after:
I am really happy with the way it turned out.  The wood was in bad shape, and would have taken more work to refinish than I am willing to do.  (Sorry Margaret - paint it was!)


It took some elbow grease to get that old paper out of the drawers, but once I got it sanded a bit and started painting, the project went pretty quickly.  Now I have a big heavy old dresser that is "new" and functional.  And it has a glass top that's a little beat up, but it will work just fine.   I was able to put some pretty tatted edged mats under the glass, so it has built-in doilies :)  Some pictures might find their way under the glass as well.


And since I was so happy with that one - we brought another old dresser home from the cabin to do the same with.  This dresser was my mother-in-law's, and has been at the cabin for 20+ years or so.  The wood on the drawers actually looked to be in really good shape, so I thought I'd just paint the dresser frame and hardware, and just clean the wood drawer fronts.  This one also turned out really nice, though I'm not too sure the wooden drawer fronts are my style.  I don't want to breathe any more paint fumes though, so if I decide to paint the drawers it will be in the spring.  In any case, I just love these old dressers - they are solid and built to last.  (And I'm too cheap to buy new ones.)

I have a few more days of vacation left to enjoy.  A book to finish, the tatted edging on that runner, and time with friends and family. 

Oh, and while I was playing with the dresser photos, I got sidetracked (imagine that) and added some text to this photo I took today:

Ruby.  We've decided that her full name is now Ruby Pearl Marilyn.  She cracks me up.

3 comments:

  1. You have been busy! Both look great! Too bad you live so far away... I have a few pieces that could use your loving touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have worked hard on them and they are looking lovely now, I agree with Diane it's a pity you live too far away from me too, as here over the pond I have an item that could do with a little of your handy work.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those dressers are stunning! (And I've seen them in person!) You are so talented!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts - I read and appreciate every one!